5.13.2006

something else trivial (but telling) to complain about

So I'm trying to get some tickets to see Radiohead in June. They've not toured for a while, but they don't have a new album out either. I figured they might have some tickets available for (gasp) $50 a pop. Fat chance. The cheapest tickets I could find were for $130 EACH. And these were in the gallery--back row, behind a pole (no joke). You want something on the floor, say 10 rows out? $1000 a piece. Who the @#&@#$% has $2000 dollars to drop on a Radiohead concert for themselves and a friend? And if the answer is "plenty of schmoes", then I want Thom Yorke to personally take the money from these rich bastards and give me a ticket for less than $100. Does this mean that I will never be able to see a decent larger band until they're washed-up and hanging on to the good ol' days by redoing their songs from 30+ years ago, like KISS or Weezer or Throbbing Gristle or The Carpenters? Seriously, couldn't they have a section for groundlings?

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy Whitman said...

You know, I refuse to play these games. I love music, and I love live music, but I long ago figured out that attending a concert in a big hockey arena, no matter how big the television monitors, wasn't worth the money. It wasn't worth $1,000. It wasn't worth $5. That means that I miss out on some concerts by some megastar bands. But I'm not really missing a concert. I'm missing a televison show. The alternative is to watch the Thom Yorke dot from a quarter mile away.

Give me a good up-and-coming band, playing as if their sweaty little lives depend upon it, in front of 100 or 200 sweaty fans in some dive bar. I'm a happy guy.

I'll listen to Radiohead (and U2, and on and on it goes) albums. But there's no way I'm going to be gouged for hundreds of dollars for a vastly inferior entertainment experience.

5/15/2006 8:58 AM  
Blogger mg said...

that sucks dude.

i saw them after 'amnesiac' came out and they cost maybe $30. they don't seem to be the type of band that would charge ridiculously overpriced $1000 seats but i guess they are.

oh well, guess i will never see them again.

did you hear about thom yoke's solo album coming out?

5/16/2006 8:06 AM  
Blogger e said...

i've seen radiohead 3 times (OK comp, and twice after Amnesiac) and U2 5 times and i've never regretted the money spent. both bands put on shows that could easily be classified as life changing. but i just don't have $300 to drop on a single concert.

it doesn't seem like its the band that does it. its these scalper computer sites that gobble up hundreds of tickets and then sell them at whatever they can get for them. very frustrating.

5/16/2006 1:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

All I have to say (and I really, truly am trying very very very hard not to gloat)...

I'm going to Bonnaroo!
I'm going to Bonnaroo!
I'm going to Bonnaroo!

Hooray for (nearly washed up bands doing the nearly Spinal Tap) festival thing!

Ok, so mebbe I'm not trying that hard. To not gloat. ;-)

5/19/2006 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home