6.15.2005

fuzzy music

the neds-fox musical juggernaut has thrown down the gauntlet. i can't hope to compare on the level of indie street-cred or even up-to-dateness. so i'm going for points on relative obscurity and cross-mix tonal blending. this is very tentative. don't make me pull out the N.W.A. or the Naughty by Nature [not 'cause I hat'cha]. The Man Who Sold The World--David Bowie (The Man Who Sold The World) Everyone Chooses Sides--The Wrens (The Meadowlands) Good Woman--Cat Power (You Are Free) Amsterdam--Griffin House (Lost & Found) Take Me Out--Franz Ferdinand (Franz Ferdinand) [yes, i know how pop-chic this song is.... but still....] Thankful--Glen Phillips (Winter Pays For Summer) As Ugly As I Seem--The White Stripes (Get Behind Me Satan) We Are All On Drugs--Weezer (Make Believe) Political Science--Pedro The Lion Blame It On The Tetons--Modest Mouse Run--Air (Talkie Walkie) Home (feat. Phil Collins)--Bone, Thugs n' Harmony (New Bone) [believe it] Windmills--Mutual Admiration Society Cordova--Indigo Girls (All That We Let In) No Light To Be Found (Fare Thee Faith, The Path Is Yours)--Castanets (Cathedral) I Love You 'Cause I Have To--Dogs Die In Hot Cars (Please Describe Yourself) Walk Away Renee--Left Banke [I opted for the original instead of the Springsteen cover...yikes!] Animal Fat--Apostle Of Hustle (Folkloric Feel) Kid A (Radiohead Cover)--John Mayer [could take or leave Mayer usually, but this adaptation is amazing] Driving To Midnight Mass on a Christmas Eve (poem)--Bono (c. 1983?)

3 Comments:

Blogger John McCollum said...

Heard the Wrens at Li'l Brothers.

They were, well, loud.

6/15/2005 8:11 AM  
Blogger Andy Whitman said...

Oooh, I want this. If you don't mind waiting for a bit (vacation with the family beckons in a couple days), I would be happy to send you either the Summer Chillin' Mix (http://andywhitman.blogspot.com/2005/06/summer-chillin-mix.html) or the Power Pop Goodness Mix (http://andywhitman.blogspot.com/2005/04/power-pop-goodness.html). Or both, if you prefer.

If you're interested, send an e-mail to whitmana (at) hotmail (dot) com with your e-mail and snail mail addresses, and I'll send you back an e-mail with my snail mail address.

"Walk Away, Renee" is one of the most lovely songs by anybody, ever. And I don't have it, but I want it. :-) I like the Glen Phillips and Mutual Admiration Society songs a lot, as well.

Let me know what you think. I hope you're doing well, Eric, and are experiencing a bit of a respite from the academic grind.

6/15/2005 11:52 AM  
Blogger e said...

john--i'm envious. i wanted to go to that show badly but was already in indiana :-P

andy--gimme gimme gimme (a man after midnight)

jnf--woven hand is impressive. thanks again.

6/15/2005 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home