2.19.2006

Myself (or someone like me) v. 5

--Which won't be as intense as last time. I got tagged, whatever the hell that means. Sorry it took so long to respond, man. four jobs i've had in my life: * in the hizzy of jizzy (element) * high school youth quasi-pastor who also filled the coke machine * stinky, dirt-eating, jogging-in-front-of-roaring-bulldozers archaeologist * the midnight to 4am shift in the loading docks of Roadway Packaging before it got bought out by FedEx. I think I actually cried because I hated the job so much. And we've gone over what I think about crying. * McDonalds. I almost got fired. Almost. And I'm not telling you why. Bonus: The Christian Armory/Larceny. They let me work there without having to cut my hair. I shocked all the Southern Baptists into buying NIVs and Messages instead of KJVs. four movies i can watch o'er and o'er: * The one that my sister and I recorded when we first got a heavy and extremely jittery video camera in 1985. * The "Gap commercial" and "rockumentary" my dormmates and I made freshman year. * Pink Floyd's _The Wall. And then I want to kill myself. * Annie. Carol Burnett is the shiznit in that movie. four places i have lived: * c-bus, oh. * another part of c-bus. * out in the middle of cornfields to the west of c-bus. * out in the middle of much larger cornfields to the west of c-bus, only it's south bend, indiana and we live in the town. * east of c-bus in some other fields. only it was northern england and they didn't grow anything but mean people with nasty teeth and unintelligible geordie accents. four tv shows i love to watch: * the british version of the Office (on DVD) * I really don't like TV * I don't like the commercials, the pointless plots, the fact that I feel like someone is trying to market something to me the whole time, and the fact that sometimes I laugh just because I feel embarrased for the actors * The Simpsons from 1989 to 2001. But I always forget to watch them now. four tops: * the top of my daughter's head as she runs by yelling "tickle daddy!" * the top of my wife's head when she tucks it neatly under my chin * the top of our "entertainment center" where seamus the cat sleeps and from which he surveys his kingdom * "toppins a bag" four places i have been on vacation: * Ireland * Mt. Gilead State Park, BFE, Ohio * Upper Sheol * a "condo" that doubled as a storage room "overlooking" (read: sinking into) the St. Lawrence Seaway in extreme northern New York state. Worst. Vacation. Ever. four of my favorite dishes: * the one that when you put it in the microwave it shoots out lightning. * the blue one from the ukraine that we got as a wedding present but that we can't use because it was painted with lead paint and since we didn't register for it in the first place I always curse when I see it and wonder why the people just didn't get us a dish we could have actually used. * greta's plastic one that she throws sometimes. Unless there's greasy sausage on it. Then it's not my favorite dish. * my mom's old ones with the grapes on the side that remind me of my grandmother. four websites i visit daily: * library.nd.edu * nd.edu/~hps * 1treehill.blogspot.com (shameless, self-referential plug) * malepatternedbaldness.com four places i would rather be: * the "long room"--Trinity University Library, Dublin, Ireland * bed * hanging out with bono, saving the world * wherever you are when you're reading this, cause we could probably hang out and talk about meaningful stuff while instead i toil away reading about subjects that no one other than me and six other eggheads on planet earth give two shits about. four bloggers i tag: * ray... (no...already tagged) * john...(no...already tagged) * andy...(no...already tagged); jeff wouldn't respond; mckaughan doesn't have a blog; kate is a wild feminazi that would rain down the fire of female heaven upon my head; luke tagged me to begin with; brant is too busy saving the world; andy does nothing but teach; matt doesn't blog; mg has given up blogging--oh wait!--he's back!...but tagged; * great. that's it. I'm at the end of the chain. I have no more friends. I don't know any more bloggers. Crap. All that's left now is existential angst. And i lent out all of my Nine Inch Nails albums too. I'm batting a thousand today.

12 Comments:

Blogger mg said...

i was tagged?

i wasn't aware of being tagged, but I will tag your lack-of-tag as being a tag.

tag baby!

2/20/2006 7:31 AM  
Blogger e said...

i thought you were on your old blog....
if not--tag!
yay!

2/20/2006 9:35 AM  
Blogger John McCollum said...

Erik,

I haven't been called 'Jizzy' for I don't know how long. Not long enough, I'm sure.

So, well, thanks?

2/20/2006 1:43 PM  
Blogger John McCollum said...

"McDonalds. I almost got fired. Almost."

---

Three words: deep fried pants

2/20/2006 1:44 PM  
Blogger e said...

"Uh, Mr. Simpson. If I'm late they'll deep fry my hand."

Kelly, you're tagged too.

2/20/2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger e said...

Broomball commercial! Dang it! I forgot about that one. That was one of the funniest videos ever. I wish I could get a copy of all of those godspeed videos. Michael Hansen doing the Fiddler on the Roof. Dang it that was cool!

2/21/2006 12:29 AM  
Blogger John McCollum said...

Luke, Luke, Luke...

2/21/2006 1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

E.

What is "tagged"?

Sorry that i said that seamus has a big head the other night. It seemed a less than adaquate last conversation for the weekend.. and besides, I like his head.

2/22/2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger e said...

kelly-- no one's feelings were hurt. especially not seamus'. his head is too big for that.

tagged just means that you're supposed to fill out this same survey.

by the way, i'm tagging you.

2/22/2006 9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

e-

i did the personality test you had for the other entry earlier. (the one that said you are an architect) and it said (among other things) that less than 1% of the population is like me.

great. explains a lot.

2/23/2006 12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha. and i love and miss you guys. thanks again for everything.

2/23/2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger e said...

kel -- y'r the beez kneez. i'm glad you got a chance to hang with us, even if it was brief. sorry that i was tangled up with a paper. it's over and i only have a bazzillion tests to grade so....

I read this on your blog (which I can't comment on cause I'm not a xanga-phite):
No, the distinguishing mark of purposeful people is not time management.

It is that they notice. They're fully awake.


i like this quote a lot. it reminds me of one by richard foster (that i will paraphrase cause i can't remember exactly what it said) -- "what the world doesn't need is more smart [or insert favorite description of people you wish you were like] people. the world needs more deep people."

i have no idea how to get "deep" but it seems like a good goal.

2/23/2006 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home