5.24.2004

When Favour becomes Conceit

I am struck by fear at the thoughts that come to me regularly now concerning school life. As a teacher I naturally wish for positive relationships with the people around me, and with the kids especially. I have been teaching at my present school for almost 6 weeks, and shall be there for the next year at least (I expect). However, in such a short time I have found such incredible favour with the young people. I find myself thinking about how wonderful and great it is, and then very quickly it turns inwards. I start believing that I am really good, and that I this...I that... I begin thinking that I am the determining factor in the equation, when the reality is that I cannot maintain the positive influence without a huge amount of love, mercy and grace being poured into my life. I had a dream the other night that my classroom suddenly became the scene of a great riot...that I lost control...that I failed. I attended churchlast night knowing tht I needed to have someone (anyone) pray for me in this specific area. I was extremely aggitated by the dream, and found myself soaking in negativity and worry. Such traits are rarely part of my life, and thus I knew that something significant was effecting me spiritually. Do tell me if I am off the mark here. A guy prayed for me. More than that, he spoke profound wisdom into my life, without counselling me. Our God is a god of Mercy. Anyone can see that. I came away from the evening knowing that the source of my success in school must be attributed to God working through me, and that while I certainly provide a means for him to display love, affection and sound teaching, I cannot take credit for his work. Therefore "I" need to bow down low. Life needs to stop being about me. I need to stop being about me. Just as an aside, while in church yesterday I had the strangest thing happen. I saw scripture in my minds eye. Not as in a memory verse...but as in a specific Book, Chapter and Verse. I turned to it, read it, smiled, and then read it out loud. Just FYI

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home