9.29.2004

pro ball

Quite an unexpected twist in the life and times of R. Owen. Last week I was selected to join a pro-basketball team, having trained with them for the last month or so. I entered the whole deal thinking they would just let me train, and that would be it, however they have taken me into the squad, and recently I signed my entrance form to the BBL, which is the premier league in the UK. We have a number of international players, along with Ishua Benjamin, who played and one of the Carolina Schools, and a few who ahve played around the world. You can check out the web-site at www.mklions.com . In a week or so it should all be updated so you can keep on track with the UK basketball news...should that sort of thing interest you. My life has been turned upside-down, for while I play pro basketball, Im not good enough to be on a full-time contract as yet, and so I work as a teacher too (which I love). It means I am always knackered though, and have had to make some tough decisions with regard to community and what that looks like with me training every day, and travelling / playing at weekends. Last week I was signing autographs even though I am a bench player, behind many seasoned pros. The stage is set for something, and with the sponsorship from a number of big companies I am pretty star-struck right now: Reebok, Nandos (Chicken Bars), Dominos, Coca Cola. As I have journalled during the past months I have sensed something around the corner, and now I am at that turning point I would appreciate your prayers, for it is certain that my witness shall face challenges that come in professional sports, and while this is not the NBA, it is nevertheless as high as one can go in the UK; and that is a start. I worked my ass off to get in shape, and I still have friends saying, "but how did YOU get in", and that is the mystery of God in my life. The adventures keep rolling!

3 Comments:

Blogger John McCollum said...

"It means I am always knackered though,"

Roger. Congratulations!

Am I correct to assume that in British English, 'knackered' is a synonym for 'rogered?' I'm just trying to figure it out from the context.

Piece.

9/29/2004 10:08 AM  
Blogger John McCollum said...

If I'm not mistaken, Chicken Bars are actually hook-up joints for single domestic fowl.

There's nothing sadder than lonely birds, and farmers find that egg production skyrockets after the chickens have gotten some socialization.

At least I THINK that's what they are. Or should be.

I don't know for sure.

10/03/2004 7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. I agree! And well done.

Anyway yeh I think Kieron needs to talk to someone, to talk to you. He has found it hard and he has realised that you are a good "dude" to talk to. He has my support anywho!

(apparently you dont reply to emails)

:-)

1/12/2005 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home