4.08.2006

music that makes you say stupid things

What's the worst thing you can do when writing a huge research paper? Listen to excellent music that makes you want to do nothing but listen to it again? Close. Blogging about such an experience--taking the time to tells your friends about your transcendent experience--this is probably the most time- and concentration-wasting thing you can do. But here I am. Writing a paper (or trying to). And I thought, hey, perhaps I should listen to some of my favorite music of the last decade or so. This was a bad idea. Music like this makes you say stupid things; things like "this is the best music ever made!" or "I want _(name of artist here)_ to have my baby!" or "when I hear ______, I piss my pants!" or "please play _______ at my funeral!" Or any combination of the above sentiments. But here, in no particular order, are the albums that today have made me want to piss my baby when I hear my funeral's best ever made pants: (1) Radiohead, Kid A (or as John would say, music for defenestration) (2) Sigur Ros, Agaetis Byrjun (3) TV on the Radio, Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes (4) Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (5) Bright Eyes, Lifted, or the Story is in the Soil... ...and of course Sufjan and U2's Zooropa, the most underrated album in their catalogue.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

YES! Great use of the word...

I had to look it up...proving that I am an intellectual midget compared to you and John...however...thanks for broadening my lexicon... :-D

R

4/09/2006 1:26 PM  
Blogger John McCollum said...

Ram wants me to use the word 'bilious' in my next sermon. I may also try to work in 'avuncular.'

4/10/2006 8:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bah. Avuncular is for pussies. Bilious, though...man...that's a keeper!

:-D

http://3rp.blogspot.com/2006/04/corfe-castle-part-ii.html

4/10/2006 5:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh. I left that link because we have a self-referencing blog loop here. A very very short, self-referencing blog loop to be sure...but I thought it merited a link. :-)

4/10/2006 5:57 PM  
Blogger John McCollum said...

3rp,

I also consider Erik to be a 'virtual friend.'

4/10/2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger e said...

great. i'm virtually a friend.

perhaps i should get back to absconding the fact that i'm only virtually a student. for sooth!

hey, john and rich, have either of you heard of -->

i'm thinking of getting a subscription, but i'm not sure if it's worth it. the art looks good, though.

4/10/2006 8:43 PM  
Blogger e said...

great. i screwed up the link. the magazine is called The Believer. It looks good but so trenchant (and with such a bilabial title!) that i'm not sure i'd read it very often, for fear that in a fit of mordaciousness i would be driven to dark depths of acerbian wit.

4/10/2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger John McCollum said...

Never heard of it. Sounds, um, bilabial?

Anyway, I'm now seeking music for REfenestration. Will see where that gets us.

4/11/2006 6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home