3.17.2003

can I post a rabbit trail? I am trying to figure out some stuff and work though some emotions that i think i know i need to deal with and work though in order to have them edventually be good emotions and not the kind that are clearly very self serving. Im thinking about how in the first few Mere Christianity chapters Lewis talks about how we often hold a moral standard for ourselves that we then attempt to force our emotions to come alongside, because we know that they should. If a person screams for help I will try to make myself feel brave in order to rescue them instead of running away which would be my first emotion. But i guess either way what matters more is that i save the screaming person, not that i feel good abotu it while i do it. But at the same time i struggle, because I think that if my feelings (perhaps "feelings" is a bad word choice- "motavations" maybe?) do not line up with what i do, even if what i do is "right" by the standards that i know rightness to be, I am walking in a gray area where i might be a hypacrite. This is confusing, im sorry. But, it even gets more confusing, cause if i "know" "somthing is right" then maybe the issue is mute. Because some feeling of authentic purpose comes with that and then I am not dealing with the issue that really bothers me. Maybe it is more when I really struggle to see somthing as "right" even though i know i should (i.e. it is biblical, and clearly so) and i want to honar that but my feelings are hyjacking the kelly brain. Like i keep trying to make them comply but i am just a jerk all the same. Is it better in some of these situations to deal with feelings, disect them and probe them for sources, or to just forget them alltogether as wrong without needing extra explanation and just move on with trying to "feel" the fight feelings? Which is healthy? Is either way unhealthy? Am i coherant? If i am not i really apoligise. And then i am still struggling to find out what i think about the idea of a universal moral law. Feel free to ask about touchy issues about any of this if you need them to understand what i am asking. I have little in my life you dont find out edventually anyway. I like it that way. I am excited to hear more about your weekend Erik. And Roger, im sure if i had any idea what you were talking abotu with the beer that i would think it was really cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home