5.24.2004

now and not yet

before i complain, i just want to be sure i say that the blessings showering down upon us are incomparably better than any difficulty and that i recognize that the bad is there for a reason too, praise God. i hate to say it, but i understand what pat meant when she knew she was going back to school and was still 'transitioning' out. there's a weird sort of pulling away. i suppose i am doing that, too, but it really feels like at home, at work, with friends, something is slipping away. it feels similar to being spoken about in the third person--everyone making plans and talking about the future. and we're not included. i know what you're thinking: e, you're the one that made the decision to leave; everyone else is going on with their regularly scheduled lives. i know. i know. that definitely explains some of it. but not all of it. there's still an inexplicable and subtle ostracism. a separation of the sheep from the goats with me on the side of the goats. but this could be entirely chimerical. perhaps nothing has changed in peoples' minds and i was never included in the plans anyway. or perhaps it is more to do with greta and less to do with notre dame. in any case, we're still here. we're dying for attention. please feed the goats.

1 Comments:

Blogger John McCollum said...

As long as you promise to oblige us to throw you parties when you return, we will always have plenty of goat chow on hand for you, my friend.

I hear goats like Guinness.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying about feeling like it's slipping away. I feel that way at church, and at my home group, and other places I'll be leaving soon.

Part of it's pragmatism; where it was once necessary to seek my guidance, it's now only necessary to seek key pieces of information that will be necessary to 'replace' me when I'm gone.

Still, there are those key relationships that, although they will change, will always remain in place. I can count on my fingers all of the people in my 'current' situation with whom time will always melt away, regarless of how long the separation has been.

For sake of propriety, I'll not make that list here, but you certainly occupy one of those fingers. (The middle one, since you're leaving me in such a bind! Just kidding.)

10 years from now, when we're all in vastly different places/positions/problems, I know that you and I will be able to still have something in common. And it won't have anything to do with Vineyard, or Element, or Clintonville; it will be that night we shared in Cancun. Ooops. Not that, either. It will be our friendship that's been short, but meaningful to me.

You've been more than a project manager; you've been a sounding board, a line of defense, a yin to my yang, a voice of reason in times of despair, and a voice of despair in times of reason.

Now, before this turns even more gawshawfully sentimental, I should sign off. Tears in beers are palatable. Tears in coffee are just pathetic.

Anyway, I feel your pain.

5/25/2004 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home