5.18.2004

Sunny Days

As I read through Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov I am struck by how very sanguine our language has become; or rather by how very common my tongue is. My penmanship I must add, follows suit. Knowing that it is of course a translation, I cannot escape the fact that in its native language, it is surely better. While touching on such a subject I feel led to comment on the bible, and the many interpretations we are inundated with. It begs the question: just how much can we read into an interpretation of the bible? Which parts are meant as narrative, and which parts literal? Was the earth and everyhting in it formed so very quickly? Did God rest on the 7th day? Was Genesis written at a later date in response to alternative 'creationist' stories? Now, I don't expect anyone to give the answers, so much as I want to consider whether it makes a difference to the fundamental truth of the gospel message. Once saved, why is it so many of us get trapped arguing the case for creation rather than living life in freedom? I have found myself living life in Jesus froma defensive stance rather that as a son who has been saved. Once saved, what are we called to? I do wonder which stance is more likely to win the hearts of the unsaved.

2 Comments:

Blogger e said...

great. you've made me lose my faith....

5/19/2004 8:02 AM  
Blogger John McCollum said...

I totally agree.

I mean, why bother arguing that Jesus really did turn water into wine? Does it really make a difference?

Or that Jesus was raised from the dead?

Or that Jesus was really God in the flesh (which is a more difficult miracle than all the others put together, in my humble opinion)?

I mean, there's a whole lot more freedom out there as soon as we liberate ourselves from the constraints of 'doctrine' and 'dogma' and 'theology.' I mean, we're much more likely to win the hearts of the unsaved if we don't disagree with them at all.

Right?

5/19/2004 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home