12.16.2004

czar of Religious Right direct mail

did anyone catch Fresh Air today? The guest was supposedly the "inventor" of campaign direct mail for the "moral majority" from the 1964 Barry Goldwater campaign through the present. He said some pretty interesting things and insinuated somemore interesting things including: (1) that people will only vote against something, rarely for something, (2) because of that, conservatives have been successful at convincing voters there are evil liberal people out there waiting to destroy (insert thing of value here), (3) the people that want to destroy stuff could really be anyone as long as they are "other," in other words non-white, non-straight, non-christian, non-middle class, non-individual rights centered, (4) that the moral majority or religious right, depending on what you'd like to call them is primarily focused on carving out and maintaining a space for 'us' where 'they' can't hurt 'us', (5) this carved-out space is impossible to achieve because society is going to hell in a handbasket, but (6) as long as the moral majority continues to be moral and vote, they'll stop hell. It was interesting what said about homosexual "activists," the purpose of government in legislating morality, and the purpose of his "faith," and the persecution that "christians" like him suffer at the hands of liberals. I'm not sure I buy it.... If you heard the show or know who I'm talking about, please comment. I'd love to learn more about this guy and his story.

2 Comments:

Blogger John McCollum said...

WHEW!

I was about to protest vociferously, and point out that I wasn't even close to a czar. Or even a Grand Duke. I was merely a functionary.

But then I realized that you were talking about someone else. And that I didn't have to defend myself for the 2,200 pieces of political direct mail I designed in my former life.

So, I'm going to stop typing and just... go... away...

12/16/2004 7:36 AM  
Blogger e said...

thanks for putting that up there scott. good work those folks are doing.
i concur that jmc is neither religious nor right.
oh...wait....

12/19/2004 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home